I just received complimentary feedback on my writing style. It was an especially potent compliment because it came from one of the most avid readers I've ever met. With narrative pieces being far from my fortay, I will probably prove the complimenter wrong with the following:
My last Saturday in the United States was one of the best days ever.
My mom and I went to the gym first thing in the morning. Then, we came home and cooked breakfast. We all got ready and made our way to a small bay nearby.
There began my first attempt at wakeboarding. It was a blast, but I was constantly reminded of my lack of talent when it comes to 'board sports.' I'd say when it comes to me wakeboarding, I am better at surfing but worse at snowboarding. If you haven't heard my snowboarding accident story, you're really missing out... Anyways, my brother and dad are so much better than me and my mother was a great water skier in her day - and it is still evident today. It was so much fun to watch them wipe out too!
To top off our pleasant afternoon in the sun, we went out for lobster and shrimp. I'm not sure there could have been a better combination - wakeboarding and seafood go hand in hand.
Then, in a throwback to the ole days, we went ice skating. My brother used to play hockey and we used to be at the rink multiple times each week. We had not done it in such a long time, so it was fun to reminisce. My brother, again, demonstrated his superior athletic ability (which does not extend into every sport, just most of them, by the way). Regardless, I really enjoyed the feeling that I remember so well - if I get going fast enough, the perfect icy breeze cools my flushed cheeks - that is best part of ice skating. It is a dangerous activity though, especially after a tiring day out on the bay. If you haven't heard the story about the ice skate, my pinky finger, and all of the blood, you're really missing out... (sorry, I just couldn't help but use that catch phrase once more)
Straight from the rink, I went to meet Cristina for dessert. Quite suprisingly, it turns out there was a suprise party going on for me. Cristina and Jackie organized a small gathering at Deepthi's apartment. It was so cute! They served strawberry shortcake and strawberry drinks in honor of my hair color! I don't think a better game of Charades has ever been played (Yes, we are nerdy, but how else would one act when celebrating with me? I am the Queen of the Nerds). I love all of the friends that I've made in San Diego and I hope they realize how much I will miss them when I am gone. Thank You!
And thank you to everyone else who made 'my last Saturday' one to remember - especially my family!
Sunday, September 19, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment